1853 - 1859The Opening of the Port
1853 Commodore Matthew Calbraith Perry of the United States Navy arrives in Uraga.
1858 Kanagawa was specified as one the five open ports by The US-Japan Treaty of Amity and Commerce.
1859 The Port of Yokohama was opened.
Yokohama Central Hospital was opened. It was later moved, and renamed Yokohama Kyoritsu Hospital.
1874Yokohama Kyoritsu Hospital was renamed Juzen Hospital
The above photo shows the Juzen Hospital in Nogeyama. This building, the original hospital, was destroyed by fire in the Great Kanto Earthquake of 1923.
The Provisional Hospital (Kari Byouin) was established by Yūteki Hayashi. This hospital is the original predecessor of YCU Hospital.
1882The Yokohama Commercial School was established
A coloured postcard of the Yokohama Commercial
The Yokohama School of Commerce (Yokohama Shoho Gakko), later renamed Yokohama Commercial School (Yokohama Shogyo Gakko) was founded by 28 members of the Yokohama Trading Merchants Association in December 1881. The school was officially recognized by the Kanagawa prefectural government on March 20, 1882.
At the time of the school's founding, the subjects offered were business, English, and the Chinese classics. Practical education formed the core of the school's business training and involved exercise which simulated real conditions.
Kodama, S. (1990) Yokohama Past and Present. Yokohama, Kanagawa: Yokohama City University.
Juzen Hospital was renamed Yokohama Municipal Juzen Hospital.
Yokohama Municipal Juzen Nurses' Training School was established. This school is the original predecessor to YCU School of Medicine's Nursing Course.
The Yokohama Commercial School was renamed the Yokohama City Municipal Commercial School when it came under the control of the city of Yokohama.
1923The Great Kanto Earthquake
The Great Kanto Earthquake struck on September 1 1923, causing destruction affecting 90% of Yokohama's population.
1924-1928The Founding of Yokohama City Economics College (Y-sen)
Photograph of Y-ko / Y-sen students
In April 1924, Yokohama City Municipal Commercial School's curriculum was revised to a 5-year regular course of study and a 2-year special course. This special course was the predecessor of Y-sen.
Nationwide applications to the Yokohama Higher Commercial School were so numerous that Yokohama residents were unable to get in. To rectify this situation, a new municipal higher school of commerce, Y-sen, was found in 1928. This is the predecessor to YCU's Department of Economics and Business Administration.
Yokohama Economic Research Institute was established.
1924 - 1944
- Yokohama City College of Commerce was renamed Yokohama City Economics College.
- Yokohama Municipal Medical College was established.
- Yokohama Municipal Juzen Hospital was renamed Yokohama Municipal Medical College Juzen Hospital.
Yokohama Municipal Medical College was promoted to Yokohama Medical School.
- Yokohama City University (Faculty of Economics and Business Administration) was established under a new educational system.
- Yokohama Economic Research Institute was renamed Yokohama City University Economic Research Institute.
- Yokohama Municipal Medical College Juzen Hospital was renamed Yokohama Medical School Hospital.
- The Faculty of Liberal Arts and Science was established.
- Yokohama Medical School was integrated with Yokohama City University. The School of Medicine was established.
- Yokohama Nurses' Training School was established.
Yokohama Medical School Hospital was renamed Yokohama City University Medical School Hospital.
The Graduate School of Medicine, Medical Studies Doctoral Program was established.
Our iconic General Administration Building (Honkosha) under construction
The General Education Department was established.
Municipal Nursing High School and Nursing Assistant High School opened.
The Graduate School of Business Administration, and The Graduate School of Economics were established.
Municipal Nursing High School and Nursing Assistant High School were recognized and renamed School of Medicine Nursing High School.
Kihara Institute for Biological Research was transferred from Kihara Institute for Biological Research Foundation.
The Graduate School of Integrated Science was established.
Yokohama City University Hospital and Yokohama City University Urafune Hospital opened.
The Graduate School of International Cultural Studies was established.
- The Faculty of Liberal Arts and Science was recognized and divided into the Faculty of Science and the Faculty of Humanities and International Studies.
- Yokohama City University College of Nursing was established.
School of Medicine Nursing High School ceased operations.
The Medical Studies Master’s Degree Program of the Graduate School of Medicine was established.
Yokohama City University Urafune Hospital was renamed Yokohama City University Medical Center.
2003YCU celebrates its 75th anniversary.
The Medical Studies Doctoral Program of the Graduate School of Medicine was reorganized.
The Icho no Yakata building
To commemorate our 75th annivesary, the Icho no Yakata building was erected on our Kanazawa-Hakkei campus.
2005Yokohama City University inaugurated as a public university corporation.
- Three faculties (Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, Faculty of Sciences, and Faculty of Humanities and International Studies) were integrated. International College of Arts and Sciences was established.
- The College of Nursing, and the School of Medicine were established.
- The Graduate School of Economics, the Graduate School of Business and Administration, the Graduate School of Integrated Science, and the Graduate School of International Cultural Studies were integrated. International Graduate School of Arts and Sciences was established.
- The General Education Department and Yokohama City University Economic Research Institute ceased operations.
- Yokohama City University Hospital and Yokohama City University Medical Center were renamed.
Yokohama City University College of Nursing ceased operations.
The International Graduate School of Arts and Sciences was reorganized and divided into the Graduate School of Urban Social and Cultural Studies, the Graduate School of International Management and the Graduate School of Nanobioscience.
The Department of Nursing of the Graduate School of Medicine was established.
The Graduate School of Medical Life Science was established.
2018The School of Data Science was established.
Faculty members together with the first cohort of the School of Data Science students
In 2018, YCU became the first university in the metropolitan area to establish an undergraduate school focusing on the study of Data Science.
The International College of Arts and Sciences was reorganized into three new undergraduate schools; the school of International Liberal Arts, the school of Economics and Business Administration, and the School of Science.
The Graduate School of Data Science was established.